Things to Avoid
Lack of Planning
- Do not type in code "off the top of your head" (hacking).
- Develop algorithms to a stage where it is easy to translate them into code
Lack of Time Scheduling
- Do not expect to produce the entire solution quickly
- During program development, several revisions of algorithms are likely
Lack of attention to detail
- Program code must be VERY precise
- Note: it is extremely frustrating to search for errors in pages of code
Things to Do
- Plan well, program development is an art form
- Start early, don't waste time
- Be patient, don't expect to get it right the first time
- Handle frustration, take regular breaks
- Work hard, and enjoy!